"I would rather have been in jail," Janice Jones said in obvious relief at being out of the [Superdome]. "I've been in there seven days and I haven't had a bath. They treated us like animals."Not quite, Ms. Jones:
Thousands of people are feared dead in the rubble of storm-shattered New Orleans, but at the New Orleans zoo only three of its 1,400 animals died in the wrath of Hurricane Katrina. The famous Audubon Zoo has the good fortune of being located on some of the city's highest ground, but it also had a disaster plan for the animals that worked better than the city's plan for humans.So there we have it: in planning for a catastrophic disaster, our society chooses to save zoo animals and to kill human beings. Make no mistake, this is not a disaster but a crime.
Perhaps that zoo director would have done a better job as head of FEMA than that horse show commissioner. But in Bushland, no one can ever screw up, so it doesn't really matter who's in charge.
